The Foreign Ministry organized the virtual event “Recovering tourism for sustainable development” at the UN headquarters in New York
8 July 2021
The Ecuadorian Foreign Ministry held an event within the framework of the High-Level Political Forum on Sustainable Development 2021, a platform that depends on the United Nations Economic and Social Council.
Participants in the presentation included:
- Vice Minister of Tourism, Ana García
- Director of Culture and Development Policies of UNESCO, Paola Leoncini Bartoli
- Coordinator of Sustainable Tourism Development of the World Tourism Organization, Cordula Wohlmuther
- Permanent representative of Ecuador to the UN, Cristian Espinosa
- Director of Public Use of the Galapagos National Park, Verónica Santamaría
- Vice president of the Quito Chamber of Commerce, Gabriela Sommerfeld
The experts agreed on the need to promote comprehensive policies and solutions and renewed international cooperation that facilitates equitable access for developing countries to vaccines, financing, technology transfer and capacity building.
On the subject, several panelists made it clear that the case of the Galapagos is a clear example of good practices, especially in terms of preventing a massive contagion of Covid-19, the adoption of specific prevention protocols appropriate to the reality of a fragile ecosystem, and the facilitation of the progressive recovery of safe and sustainable tourism, as the main economic engine of the archipelago.
The High-Level Political Forum is the UN’s central platform for monitoring and evaluating the 2030 Agenda for Sustainable Development and its 17 Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs).
Read the original coverage from Expreso at https://www.expreso.ec/actualidad/onu-interesada-reactivacion-turismo-islas-galapagos-107995.html
Informing and sharing news on marine life, flora, fauna and conservation in the Galápagos Islands since 2017
© SOS Galápagos, 2021